Governments are demanding more effective use of resources and delivery of desired outcomes, particularly when funding is constrained. Transport professionals therefore need to be able to develop and present robust and compelling business cases for investment proposals.
Part 1. Strategy has a focus on the first stage of developing a business case – the strategic context. Clarify the problem, engage key stakeholders, assess risks and establish governance, so you can clearly align your project to deliver government priorities.
Part 2. Solutions provides a guidance on developing and selecting a preferred option. Develop potential options and narrow them to a short list by assessing their viability and selecting a preferred option, so that you can confidently proceed to detailed analysis.
Part 3. Submission outlines the detailed business case components. What is important in evaluating the preferred option to deliver outcomes, develop implementation and be able to confidently present the detailed business case, so you can win approval the first time.
What can I expect from this course?
The online course will provide you with the opportunity to acquire or enhance professional skills required to prepare robust business cases for investment.
- take a strategic view or big picture, rather than a technical only perspective, focus on the critical 20% that gives 80% of the results (80:20 principle)
- establish a sound understanding of strategic priorities, challenges, risks and opportunities to provide desired outcomes and results
- demonstrate an understanding of current and emerging practices and key concepts in developing business cases
- ensure proposed solutions are practical, couched in terms of desired outcomes and funding criteria
- apply the required assessment frameworks and best practice processes to deliver value for money proposals
- consider the different perspectives of key stakeholders
- effectively communicate proposals using leading practice methods and tools – understand a decision maker’s perspective, tell the story and outline the investment logic
- know where to obtain more information.
What is included in the course?
Online materials, which includes short videos, notes, links to readings and references, tools and templates and application exercises. You can submit your completed exercises for feedback. On successful completion of the course you will be provided with a certificate.